Massage therapy is a form of complementary therapy that involves the manipulation of soft tissue to improve physical and emotional well-being. In the treatment of dual diagnosis, massage therapy can provide several benefits.
What Is Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy is a form of manual therapy that involves manipulating muscles, tissues, and joints. It has been used for centuries to reduce stress levels, relieve pain, and improve overall well-being. Massage therapists use their hands, fingers, elbows, and feet to apply pressure and manipulate the body’s soft tissues. Massage therapy aims to improve circulation, promote relaxation, and help the body heal.
Are There Different Types of Massage Therapy?
There are many different types of massage therapy, each with unique techniques and benefits. Some of the most common types of massage include Swedish, deep tissue, sports, and hot stone.
Swedish massage is a gentle massage that is great for relaxing the body and managing stress. Deep tissue massage is a more intense massage to relieve pain and release tight muscles. Sports massage is specifically designed for athletes and helps to improve performance and prevent injury. A hot stone massage uses warm stones to relax and loosen tight muscles.
Can Massage Therapy Aid in Dual-Diagnosis Recovery?
Yes, massage therapy can aid in dual-diagnosis recovery. Dual diagnosis refers to the simultaneous presence of a mental health disorder and a substance use disorder. It can benefit the recovery process for co-occurring disorders by reducing stress, improving mood, and relieving physical tension and pain.
How Does Massage Therapy Aid Dual-Diagnosis Recovery?
Research has shown that massage therapy can help decrease symptoms of anxiety and depression. These are common mental health issues that often accompany substance abuse. It can provide stress relief and improve sleep. This can help reduce insomnia for people with mental health and substance use problems.
- Anxiety and stress reduction: Massage therapy can help regulate the body’s nervous system, reducing feelings of stress and anxiety and improving mood.
- Alleviating physical symptoms: Massage therapy can help relieve symptoms associated with dual diagnoses, such as pain, headaches, and muscle tension.
- Improving sleep: Massage therapy can enhance sleep quality by promoting relaxation and reducing stress and anxiety. It helps individuals with dual diagnosis get the rest they need to support their recovery.
- Boosting the immune system: Massage therapy has been shown to stimulate the immune system. This helps the body to resist illness and disease better.
- Enhancing emotional regulation: Massage therapy can provide comfort and relaxation, helping individuals with dual diagnosis better regulate their emotions and cope with stress.
- Cleaning the body: Massage can help the body get rid of harmful substances, improve the cleaning process, and improve overall physical and mental well-being.
Combined with traditional and other holistic therapies, massage therapy can be a valuable addition to dual diagnosis treatment.
Is Massage Therapy Useful in a Holistic Treatment Plan?
Massage therapy should not be the only treatment for dual-diagnosis rehab. It should be used with other treatments to help with recovery. A holistic recovery plan should include the following:
- Time with a therapist
- Taking medicine as prescribed
- Additional proven treatments to treat dual diagnosis.
This therapy can also help improve physical health by reducing muscle pain and tension, improving circulation, and promoting lymphatic drainage. Massage therapy can help people with mental health and substance use problems who have physical symptoms from substance abuse, like headaches, pain, and tiredness.
Dual Diagnosis Treatment at Agape Detox Center
We offer many holistic dual diagnosis treatment options, so there is something to fit every individual’s needs. Our admissions staff is standing by to answer any questions and help you find the right plan. Call us at Agape Detox Center today to learn more about dual diagnosis treatments available!